Keeping your computer cool at a low temperature is a very important action to carry out in order to ensure that all your computer components are working at their utmost performance without having to slacken due to the raise of heat level. That’s because high temperatures bring out the burning of the microscopic electrical circuits of which most, if not all, computer peripherals are made, and for that reason those peripherals have to diminish their performance in a pursuit to decrease the generated heat released out by them due processing data (the case of CPU and GPU) or transferring those data (the case of RAM, HDD and SSD).
The Importance Of Computer Case Fans
As has been said earlier, the high temperature has a devastating effect on computer components in the worst scenarios, but often, even if the temperature exceeds its recommended limit, its worst effect will only be decreasing the performance without harming the architecture of any part in the box. When those parts are in action they release lots of heat especially if the computer is put under heavy workloads for a long time. This should be a big concern for enthusiast video gamers, professional 3D graphics designers and video editors, and network server managers.
To work around this issue one needs to renew the confined hot hair inside the computer case by employing case fans that help to create an airflow inside the box by blowing the room-temperature air inside and pulling the hot air outside.
This technique will ensure that the heat generated by the computer parts will not accumulate to negatively impact the overall temperature, and consequently the performance, of your system, so that eventually it keeps running smoothly at its utmost.
It’s worth to be noted that it was tested and reported that if you would keep your PC case open you wouldn’t need more than the rear fan for an optimum cooling and you can totally dispense with case fans. But the drawback of this technique is the unpleasant appearance of the open computer case and the possibility of collecting more dust and dirt than if it is closed. After all it’s your own choice to decide which situation suits you better.
Types Of Computer Case Fans
There are different types of computer case fans available out there, and they are basically classified depending on the dimensions of these fans. The most common types of these fans are 120mm, which are small and consume low power, and 200mm which are large, pull more air than their siblings and consume higher power to run.
Choosing between fans depends primarily on the design of your case. Just check the measurements of the holes dedicated for fans before determining which type of fans works out for you.
My Best Computer Case Fan Selections
Below are my personal best selections in the computer case fan space. I based my judgement on the reviews of users who tried these fans and rated them on Amazon.com. So what you’ll see below are the top-rated and most-highly recommended fans on Amazon website.
The Best 120mm Case Cooling Fans
Noctua [NF-S12A PWM]
The NF-S12A marks the third generation of Noctua’s signature S12 series quiet case fans, which have received more than 250 awards and recommendations from the international press. Featuring a further refined blade design with Anti-Stall Knobs that works in tandem with the new AAO (Advanced Acoustic Optimization) frame, the NF-S12A improves the airflow/noise efficiency of its renowned predecessor by up to 8%. The PWM version sports Noctua’s custom designed NE-FD1 IC for fully automatic speed control via 4-pin fan headers and comes with a Low-Noise-Adaptor to reduce the maximum speed during PWM control from 1200 to 900rpm. Its superb running smoothness, SSO2 bearing and Noctua’s trusted premium quality make it an elite choice for quiet case cooling.
- The NF-S12A features the third evolution of Noctua’s classic Straight Blade Design that achieves 10 cfm
- The NF-S12A’s Anti-Stall Knobs reduce flow separation phenomena in medium to high impedance situations and thereby increase the fan’s stall margin, that is even more versatile than its renowned predecessor.
- Noctua’s AAO (Advanced Acoustic Optimization) frames feature integrated anti-vibration pads as well as Noctua’s proprietary Stepped Inlet Design and Inner Surface Microstructures, both of which further refine the fan’s performance/noise efficiency.
- Noctua’s Stepped Inlet Design adds turbulence to the influx to facilitate the transition for laminar flow to turbulent flow, that reduces tonal intake noise, improves flow attachment, incur suction capacity, especially in space restricted environments.
- Integrated Anti-Vibration Pads made from extra-soft silicone minimize the transmission of minute vibrations while maintaining full compatibility with all standard screws and other mounting systems.
Corsair Air Series AF120 LED Quiet Edition
Corsair Air Series LED high airflow PC case fans combine efficient, low-noise airflow with striking LED lighting. The custom-molded blades are designed for high-volume air delivery with less noise and turbulence than typical case fans. They’re translucent, with a frosted texture, so the light from the four LEDs adds a dramatic effect.
- Fan Size 120mm x 25mm
- Noise (dBA) 25.2 dBA
- Airflow (CFM) 52.19 CFM
- Static Pressure (mm/H2O) 0.75 mm/H2O
- Power Draw (at +12V) .40 A, 1500RPM
- Available in single or twin packs.
ARCTIC F12 PWM Rev. 2
ARCTIC F12 PWM Rev. 2 has a 120mm PWM-controlled case cooling fan with ultra quiet blades delivering the most efficient combination of optimum air flow and low fan noise. Fluid dynamic bearing offers extended service life and lower noise operation over ordinary case fans with conventional bearing. At only 22.5 dBA at full load, ARCTIC F12 PWM Rev. 2 is one of the quietest case fan on the market today. Two-way push or draw mounting options provide the most flexible applications. ARCTIC F12PWM Rev. 2 comes with a 6-year limited warranty.
- 120mm PWM-Controlled Fan with Regulates Fan Speed Based on Load
- 300-1350 RPM, High Variable Airflow/Static Pressure & Low Noise: 74 CFM at 22.5 dBA
- Low-Noise Blades Design Increasing Airflow and Minimizing Fan Noise
- Fluid Dynamic Bearing Significantly Extends Service Life
- 6-Year Limited Warranty
Cooler Master Sleeve (Value 4-Pack)
Case cooling is becoming more essential these days. The better airflow inside your system, the cooler and more stable system you will get.
- 4 IN 1 Value Pack
- Higher air flow to enhance cooling performance
- Ultra silent operation at 19 dBA
- Economic solution for perfect performance
- RoHS compliance for protecting the environment
The Best 200mm Case Cooling Fans
AeroCool [EN55642] Silent Master
AeroCool designed SilentMaster 200mm Blue LED fan with large blades for better airflow and lower noise level. Aerodynamic fan blades designed to minimize turbulent. Only at 800 RPM generate enormous airflow up to 76 CFM with low noise level at only 18dBA. Include 3 pin to 4 pin Molex converter and 4 screws.
- Aerodynamic large fan blade generate high airflow with low noise level
- Airflow up to 76 CFM and low noise level at 18 dBA running at 800RPM
- Include 3 pin to 4 pin Molex converter and 4 screws
- 4 Blue LEDs create special lighting effect
- 12V DC fan
Antec Big Boy 200 Tricool
Antec Big Boy 200mm TriCool Case Fan. Ground breaking 200mm design provides more cooling at lower speeds than smaller fans. 3-speed switch lets you balance quiet performance with maximum cooling. Double ball-bearing design for longer life. 4-pin power connector provides convenient connection to your power supply.
- 3 Speed Fan- Current: 0.08A, 0.17A, 0.3A- Speed: 400 rpm, 600 rpm, 800 rpm- Airflow: 83 cfm, 108 cfm, 134 cfm- Noise: 24 dBA, 27 dBA, 30 dBA
- Rated Voltage — 12V DC
- Operating Voltage — 10.8V ~ 13.2V
- 3-Speed switch lets you balance quiet performance with maximum cooling
The black 200mm Case Fan from Corsair can be installed in the Corsair Graphite Series 600T/600T-White and Obsidian Series 650D PC Cases. It can also be installed in other PC cases that have provisions to install 200mm fans. The fan facilitates airflow within the case and helps maintain the optimum operating temperature of the internal components.
- Fan Speed: 1000RPM
- Air Flow: Up to 92 CFM
- Noise: 28.8dBA
- Bearing: Sleeve
Thermaltake Pure Series [CL-F015-PL20BL-A]
Thermaltake CL-F015-PL20BL-A 200mm Pure Series Quiet High Airflow Case Fan
- 200x30mm thick for high air pressure and airflow . Pure 20 fan is designed to great silently, so user can keep his mind focused on the task at hand without bothering
- Fan blade designed to focus airflow and reduce noise, creating a torrent of air without creating excess noise
- Long life sleeve bearing
- Easy to install
- LED version available