When it comes to replacing the stock hard drive of PS4 with a new one, there’re not many hard drive options available in the market, due to the standards a replacement hard drive must meet in order to fit into PS4 drive bay.After looking into the available HDD options for PS4, and by implementing our criteria for determining the best hard drive for PS4, we have concluded the following:
Yes, in terms of performance alone, SSDs are much better, but you’ll have to pay a premium to get one that can handle your storage requirements (More than $150 for 500GB and more than $200 for 1TB). Besides you’ll not get the hoped performance out of SSD when added into PS4 due to the limitation of the second generation of Serial-ATA which PS4 is interfaced with.
In some aspects, SSHD are somewhat faster than our top-notch choice, but a 2.5-inch SSHD that fits into the drive bay of PS4 comes only with 1TB of storage capacity. We recommend Seagate 1TB Firecuda Gaming [ST1000LX015] if you wish to go with an SSHD instead.
Additional HDD Options for PS4
For any reason, if you’re not happy with our top-notch selection, and don’t wish to adopt it for your next PS4 storage upgrade, we have listed below the other best hard drive options that you may consider for your PS4 game console:
|Brand Name||Model NO.||Capacity||SATA Gen.||Spin. Speed|
|Seagate Barracuda HDD||ST2000LM015||2TB||SATA III||5400 RPM|
|Seagate Mobile HDD||ST2000LM007||2TB||SATA III||5400 RPM|
|Samsung M9T SpinPoint||ST2000LM003||2TB||SATA III||5400 RPM|
|Seagate Gaming Firecuda SSHD||ST1000LX015||1TB||SATA III||5400 RPM|
|HGST Travelstar 7K1000||0J22423||1TB||SATA III||7200 RPM|
|WD Scorpio Blue||WD10SPCX||1TB||SATA III||5400 RPM|
|WD Mobile HDD||WD7500BPKX||750GB||SATA III||7200 RPM|
|Toshiba Laptop HDD||MQ01ABD100||1TB||SATA III||5400 RPM|
Why [ST2000LM015] is Our Top-Notch HDD for PS4?
Just until recently, Samsung SpinPoint M9T hard drive [ST2000LM003] was the best hard drive option for PS4 in terms of capacity (2TB) and price. But now we have picked the newest and highly improved Seagate 2TB Barracuda [ST2000LM015] to be the best PS4 replacement hard drive since October 2016.
Our reasons for that are:
- It has a huge cache memory (128MB) which is not found in any other 2.5-inch HDD brand except its predecessor [ST2000LM007]
- It’s the successor of what was known as the “fastest laptop hard drive”—Seagate’s Mobile HDD [ST2000LM007], and that intuitively means it’s more improved.
- Unlike its predecessor, it doesn’t provide data encryption (which is not needed in PS4 systems anyway), and that’s supposed to have a good impact on the overall performance of the drive.
- It comes with a very reasonable and affordable price (less than $100) as of the time of writing.
How We Determined the Best Hard Drive for Ps4
Choosing the drives listed above as the best drives for PS4 storage upgrade was made after implementing the following criteria:
- The drive must meet the required specifications of a PS4 HDD, which are: 2.5-inch form factor, Maximum 9.5mm thickness, and Serial-ATA interface.
- The drive’s brand must belong to a prominent and highly-reputed HDD manufacturer, such as Seagate and Western Digital (WD).
- Spindle Speed shouldn’t be less than 5400RPM
- Storage Capacity must be above 500GB (We don’t recommend less than 1TB unless there’s a special exception)
- Cache buffer memory shouldn’t be less than 32MB (More cache means better performance)
Bearing all that in mind along with other small factors, we have deduced that the improved Seagate Barracuda [ST2000LM015] is the best mechanical hard drive of which you can think for PS4.